For CakePHP developers I would like to welcome Shrink, a plugin I created for a simple way to compile, combine, and compress assets (specifically less). There are several other plugins to do this, but I didn’t find one that suited my fancy.. Either they were two complex for my need or too simple. Shrink aims to be somewhere in the middle.
Setup is simple just like any other CakePHP plugin (add to Plugins folder, load in bootstrap.php). I’ve successfully used it in my standard views, email views, and pdf views (via dompdf). Shrink asset compiling is easily extensible and can currently handle/compile: js, css, less, sass, scss, coffee files. Compression is currently handled with cssmin and jsmin, however it as well is easily extensible.
You can find Shrink at its new home on Github: CakePHP Shrink Plugin
jQuery Impromptu 4.3 has been released, and has become even more versital, yet still maintaining its simplicity. The new version introduces two new methods addState and removeState. This means you can add and remove states on the fly! The inners of Impromptu has been updated to use these methods along with event delegation, which means few attached events and more reusable code.
Also some Twitter Bootstrap sugar has been sprinkled over Impromptu, and I have included a Bootstrap theme. What does this mean?
If you don’t use bootstrap, continue as you were. The default Impromptu theme is still right where you expect it. If you are using bootstrap Impromptu now has the proper class names on buttons, headers, and icons. There is a separate theme file for bootstrap in the themes folder which simply has the styles removed that bootstrap takes care of.
As always if you want to learn more about Impromptu and how to use many of its advanced features I highly recommend the ebook “Impromptu From I to U”.
buy PDF + Code
buy PDF Only
Two exciting announcements! First jQuery 1.3 is now available. Second, the “Handling Time” ebook is now available!
Handling Time eBook
The Handling Time eBook covers all the common topics on dealing with dates and times. On the client side it demonstrates from basic setup to time ranges.
Timepicker 1.3 was a significant update, particularly to timezones and time unit detection. Ok, the later didn’t exist before, which will be line item 1 on the update list.
- Detection of features from timeFormat. showTimezone, showSeconds, etc. no longer required.
- Added Danish i18n
- Localization folder renamed to i18n (datepicker consistency)
- timezoneIso8601 option removed, detected from timeFormat with “Z”
- Timezone internal storage now uses integer in minutes for Date object consistency
- timezoneList values should now be an integer in minutes.
- Updated jQueryUI slider detection for controlType
- Updated Italian i18n
- Test with new jQueryUI 1.10.3
With the increased attention and amount of help questions I receive for jQuery-Timepicker-Addon, I have decided to put together an eBook, Handling Time. I believe this will help many who are new to timepicker, and even those with experience when dealing with times in general will find it very beneficial. After a few years of developing and maintaining timepicker, I have found there are a few particular speedbumps that often raise questions.
So what will be covered?
- Timepicker Setup – A basic guide to get up and running with a datetime picker.
- Usability – How to make datetimepicker more accessible for touch devices.
- Ranges – How to work with time ranges. (Think arrival and departure datetimes).
- Restraints – How to limit user options to certain times.
- Internationalization – Provide multiple languages and time formats.
- Storage – Learn how to store datetimes from multiple timezones.
So are you interested?
Head on over to the Handling Time homepage!
jQuery Timepicker Addon 1.2.2 has arrived and it brings several bug fixes. Among the fixes are:
- Honor timeFormat when building dropdown options.
- Better AM/PM detection from timeFormat.
- Fixes bug breaking datepicker with defaultDate option.
- Cleans up several lint errors.
- Updates Brazilian Portuguese localization.
- Adds Croatian translation.
- Tests with jQuery 1.9.1 and jQueryUI 1.10.2.